April 20, 2020
The Weitz Firm, LLC
Going to the dentist is not on the top of anybody’s list of things to do. However, our dental and oral well-being is vitally important. However, dental medical experts can make mistakes, and when they do, it can affect both the health of a patient as well as the patient’s financial stability. At The Weitz Firm, LLC, our qualified and experienced Philadelphia medical malpractice attorneys want to discuss some of the most common reasons these cases arise.
Cause of dental malpractice lawsuits
In order for a dental malpractice lawsuit to be successful, a patient needs to be able to prove that they suffered an injury that was caused by a dentist’s sub-standard care. This can happen in a number of ways. Some of the most common causes of dental malpractice lawsuits include:
- Incorrectly administered anesthesia: When undergoing a dental procedure, anesthesia allows for a patient to be operated on without feeling any pain. However, anesthesia can be incredibly dangerous if not properly administered. A dentist must remain attentive at all times when a patient is under anesthesia and be prepared to handle any adverse reactions. Toxic doses of anesthesia can cause convulsions, tremors, seizures, or even death.
- Incorrectly pulling teeth: While a tooth extraction may be a fairly common procedure, this is also a permanent condition for the patient. If a tooth is removed incorrectly, or if the wrong tooth is pulled, a patient will suffer needless permanent injury. This type of mistake could be made if a dentist incorrectly interprets an X-ray or if they simply make a mistake.
- Misdiagnosis: A dental misdiagnosis can occur in a variety of ways, and often happens when a dentist incorrectly identifies, or fails to identify, a condition that requires immediate medical care.
- Failing to recommend additional treatment: Dentists are often the first medical professionals to recognize that there is a serious medical condition occurring with a patient. If a dentist recognizes a serious medical condition but fails to refer a patient to an adequately trained medical professional, they could be guilty of medical malpractice.
Dental malpractice can be detrimental to victims. These cases often result in a patient needing additional treatment that they would otherwise have not needed. Not only will this need to tremendous medical bills, but dental malpractice can cause tremendous pain and suffering for a victim.
We can help you through this
If you or somebody you care about has been the victim of a dental mistake, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At The Weitz Firm, LLC, our qualified and experienced team will get to work investigating every aspect of your case in order to secure the compensation you are entitled to. This could include:
- Coverage of any dental mistake medical bills
- Compensation for lost income if you are unable to work
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Coverage of any reconstructive surgery costs
- Coverage of dental implants (if necessary)
When you need a Philadelphia dental malpractice attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 267-587-6240.